Experiment with Art Nouveau's petal defect characteristic

Look up Art Nouveau if you haven’t seen it. A red rose with a yellow stripe down each petal. Really cool, and a good breeder for health. Thanks to Kim Rupert for giving me one years ago (I lost it so I only have descendants now.)

The top photo above is Art Nouveau x (First Impression x R. virginiana). I called it ANFIVI. I don’t have that one anymore either. The second photo is ANFIVI x All the Rage, code #1298.

The thing with Art Nouveau is that it seems to pass on either normal blossoms or blossoms that are too defective for the petals to fully form. Both of the above roses fit into the latter character. Despite the nice photo of ANFIVI, later blossoms were fairly stunted. You could walk by the second rose and not even notice that it is blooming.

So it’s interesting to think about how this petal defect is passed on…I’m assuming that it is a quantitative trait. That means it’s like a dial and can get passed on in different quantities and intensities rather than being an on/off switch. My assumption is that to get a rose like Art Nouveau itself you have to set that dial in just the right spot so the petals develop to full size but still have the stripe.

So to learn and hope, I collected a ton of OP hips from 1298 last fall and I’m growing out a bunch of seedlings. If nothing else it will be fun to evaluate what percentage of blossoms show the defect and to what degree.

I have to delete one of the pics because this forum says “new users can only put one media item in a post.” Frustrating. I couldn’t remember my login so I used Google.

6 Likes

This is ANFIVI

4 Likes

Bravo, Joe! ANFIVI x All the Rage is as unique as a new art movement, say, expressionism. Does it have a fragrance?

3 Likes

Congratulations, Joe! I’m glad you’ve had fun with it. Isn’t it remarkable that result was mined from nasty old Roger Lambelin? Lambelin is terrible everywhere I’ve grown it. Addicted to every fungal issue there is and flowers that always failed to open. Thankfully, Peter James created something incredibly healthy in these parts.

1 Like

Wow what unique looking trait. I Don’t think I can get it in the UK. Looks fun to experiment with

@James_D if you can’t find Art Nouveau (it originated in Britain), look for Ronnie Rawlins’ obvious offspring from it. Things such as:

There may be others, but these are the ones I’ve seen on line.

Thank you so much for the information. Oddly with a quick Google search they didn’t come up as for sale… Which is weird as some are very recent! Very appreciative, will give it a bigger search at some point

https://www.gardenroses.co.uk/andrew-rose found this though

And, that’s even on HMF! There, it’s listed simply as “Andrew”. 'Andrew' Rose If you encounter it, please feel free to photograph it and add them to HMF!

Very nice. Andrew looks to be the most commercially accessible of the bunch. “More likely to be accepted by normies” :face_with_peeking_eye:

I like the flower, but the stems and form aren’t ideal! I have come across bonkers but only as a standard

Of course. It’s our “job” to hopefully improve on that. I guess I was intending to mean the blooms. “Normies (to roses)/Weekend Warriors” can be picky as to what they will accept.

It reminds me of blossom end rot in tomatoes and peppers, where the terminal apex of the petals (and fruit) go necrotic because they outrun their calcium supply. The fix in those cases is to fortify the soil with soluble calcium and to apply foliar calcium supplements. There are various concoctions out there for the purpose. Soil pH is also a thing with blossom end rot.

I found another. It doesn’t state so, but it’s obvious. https://helpmefind.com/rose/l.php?l=2.76295.0https://helpmefind.com/rose/l.php?l=2.71648